Hot summer days can be a discomfort most of the time, especially for people who are used to cold weathers. People suffer from excessive heat; it can make one irritable, and at times can also affect your mood and well-being. During the hot season, even at night, the heat can prevent you from having a good night’s sleep or any sleep at all.
Air conditioning is one of the likely choices to alleviate the discomfort that a hot weather brings. However, a more practical solution and preferred by many is the ventless portable air conditioner. It is by far, the best choice for anyone who needs a cheaper and portable solution for your cooling needs.
What is a Ventless Portable Air Conditioner?
A ventless portable air conditioner is similar to an air conditioner, but it does not need installation. A lot of people may wonder what the difference is between a ventless portable air conditioner and a whole house air conditioning. A whole house air conditioning works well and is an easy option for some, but it can be quite expensive especially if you only need to cool one room in your house. It also needs costly installation and has high power usage.
A ventless portable air conditioner is as the name implies portability. It is easier to move around and transfer from one room to another. It does not need venting outside.
Advantages of a Ventless Portable Air Conditioner
There are many advantages of using a ventless portable air conditioner which makes it the most popular cooling system in the market.
Price – Compared with the whole house air conditioner that many people find expensive, the ventless portable air conditioner’s purchase price is relatively cheaper.
No Installation – Ventless portable air conditioners do not need installation. As we all know, installations can be tricky and most of the time, tasking and paying someone else to do the job will be more expensive.
Portability – One of the selling advantages that the kind of air conditioners have over whole house air conditioning units is its portability. They are equipped with heavy-duty casters that make them very easy to be transported form one room to another. Ventless portable air conditioners are equipped with heavy-duty casters that allow them to be easily transported from room to room.
Multi-function – some top of the line ventless portable air conditioners can double as fans, dehumidifiers and heaters. You also have the option to alternatively use its two functions; air compression cooling and basic circulation. Doing this will increase energy efficiency.
Environmentally Friendly – the newer models of ventless portable air conditioners are eco-friendly. They do not use refrigeration gases; instead, these units work in the same principle that a dehumidifier does, extract moisture from the atmosphere.
Disadvantages of a Ventless Portable Air Conditioner
Like any other appliance or gadget, if it has advantages, it also has disadvantages.
Not Suitable for Larger Rooms – these units cannot provide optimal cooling for large rooms. They are more suitable for small to medium sized rooms; therefore the cooling range is limited.
Noise – Ventless portable air conditioners can produce noise that is louder than that of a vented and whole house air conditioning system. But the portable air conditioner is in the room with you in many instances and all of the noise is there as well. Running some portable air units in the room where you are sitting can drown out television, music or conversation.
Moisture/Water – Because these units are ventless, they are usually placed near the window where an exhaust pipe can empty the water vapor/moisture collected outside. Or the moisture will be collected in a pan and must be emptied from time to time. This means an additional task.
What to Look for in Buying a Ventless Portable Air Conditioner
Buying a ventless portable air conditioner is not really that stressful, although you may need to know some important factors before you go ahead and purchase one. Knowing these vital pointers may save you the trouble of picking up the wrong unit.
- Size of the Room – The size of the unit you will purchase depends on how big the room you will use it for. Ventless portable air conditioners can generate as much as 12,000 BTUs (British Thermal Units) however; they would work well for small and medium-size rooms.
- Easy-to-install Window Venting Kit – Choose the unit that has a window venting kit, that way, you wouldn’t have any problems in draining or disposing of the collected moisture from the unit.
- Washable Filter – Majority of the manufacturers today offer ventless portable air conditioners with a washable pull-up 3M electrostatic filter to assure you of the breathing clean air as well as hassle-free cleaning, because of the easy to detach filter.
- Digital LCD Display – Most ventless portable air conditioners have digital LCD display, look for the unit with easy to read displays, that way you avoid eye strain. Moreover, choose the unit with soft touch LCD for ease in operation.
- Full Function Remote Control – Convenience is also one of the important factors you should look for. Get a unit with a full function remote control; this should save you the trouble in having to get up each time you need to make adjustments to your unit.
- Automatic Shutoff Timer – This feature offers you convenience and the same time save energy.
- Quiet Operation – It is true that vented or whole house air conditioners run more quietly than ventless portable air conditioners. However, as this product is market prevalent, manufacturers constantly strive to provide better units than their competitors, and one of the features they improved is the sound these units produce. Most portable air conditioners now run quietly, without the annoying noise that may disturb your sleep.
- R410A Eco-friendly Refrigerant – Choose the unit that is nature friendly. Some units use Eco-friendly refrigerants.
- Quality Castor Wheels – Almost all ventless portable air conditioners are equipped with castor wheels. But not all are equally built with quality castor wheels. This is important when choosing which unit you will purchase, especially if you are going to place the unit in a carpeted area, some castor wheels may prove to be difficult to maneuver and transport from one place to another.
- Auto-Evaporation System – Another nice feature you may want to check out is auto-evaporation system. This technology recycles the moisture by drawing moist air in and then uses the condensed water to cool the hot coils and at the same time evaporating it. This feature eliminates water buckets and pans that would need to be emptied periodically.
- Brand – Choose the manufacturer well known for its quality products. The purchase price may be a bit higher than other brands, but the assurance that you are getting a durable and lasting product is worth it.
The Top 8 Ventless Portable Air Conditioner
1. Honeywell MN12CES 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner – Black/Silver by Honeywell – The Honeywell MN12CES 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner is another product from Honeywell, one of the popular brands of ventless portable air conditioner in the market because of its cool and functional features. It has a very trendy design that would look good in any room. It can dehumidify areas up to 450 square feet. This model comes with everything needed including a flexible exhaust hose and an easy-to-install window venting kit. The window vent can be removed when the unit is not in use.
- Dehumidification up to 79.2 pints per day
- Auto-Evaporation System – allows for hours of continuous operation with no water to drain or no bucket to empty.
- Castor Wheels – for easy transport from room to room.
- Powerful Air Flow – delivers optimum cooling.
- Quiet Operation (55 dbA) – will not disturb your sleep at night.
- Digital LED display – clearer display for ease in operating the unit.
- Feather-Touch LCD Controls – provides the user ease of operation.
- Full-function Remote Control- allows the user to operate the unit even from across the room.
- 3 Speeds – gives you the option to control which speed suits you best.
- Washable and pull-up 3M electrostatic filter – for no hassle cleaning.
- R410A eco-friendly refrigerant – for a safer environment.
- Automatic shutoff timer from 1-24 hours – saves you energy.
2. Koldfront PAC1401W Ultracool 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, White by Koldfront – This air conditioner is a 14,000 BTU. It can cool a room up to
500 square feet. It has a 24hr programmable timer and dehumidifier function.
- 3 Fan Speeds – giving you different cooling options.
- Digital Thermostat Control – with a 62F to 88F setting range.
- Remote Control – for convenience in operating the unit.
- Caster Wheels – for easier transport from room to room.
- Internal Condensate Removal System – you never have to manually empty buckets or pans.
- Uses environmentally friendly R410A refrigerant.
3. Tripp Lite SRCOOL12K Portable Cooling / Air Conditioner Stand Alone Spot Air Cooler 120V, 60Hz, 12K BTU by Tripp
Lite – This air conditioner is perfect if you want a unit that is so easy to operate. It is so light and compact (less than 3 feet in height). It has 12,000 BTU of cooling power can cool a 500 square foot room.
- Window/drop Ceiling Installation Kit – that provides multiple installation options.
- Built-in on/off Timer – this unit can be used off-hour or unattended cooling.
- Uses R410a Refrigerant – Environment friendly
- No water collection tank required.
- Auto-restart feature
- It has a top-mounted control panel with LCD temperature readout and LEDs
- Standard louvered vent for general room cooling and ducted vent to direct cold air where needed.
4. Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler with 250 Square Foot Cooling, 500 CFM by Luma Comfort – This sleek and stylish air conditioner can cover up to 250 square feet. It is light and compact; perfect all kinds of rooms in your house or office. It can be used outdoors too, on patios and decks.
- 3 different fan speeds, three cooling modes and a 8 hour timer
- Air filter to control odor and clear the air from hazardous airborne particles.
- Digital control panel and programmable timer
- Removable water tank
- Remote control
5. SPT SF-609 Portable Evaporative Air Cooler with Ionizer by Sunpentown – This air conditioner is an evaporative air cooler, humidifier and fan with ionizer in one unit. It can cool up to 250 square feet, and lower temperatures by up to 20 degrees. It is both lightweight and economical. It includes a remote control that allows you to change settings easily. It uses endothermic reaction technology and uses much less energy.
- 10L water tank capacity
- Nylon and Photocatalystic filter
- 3 Fan speeds
- Ionizer to Purify Air
6. Luma Comfort EC220W High Power 1650 CFM Evaporative Cooler with 650 Square Foot Cooling by Luma Comfort – This air conditioner can bring instant cool air to areas up to 650 square feet. It is the largest and most powerful model among the Luma line of Comfort evaporative coolers. This unit is very economical to use and easy to assemble. It is made of durable UV-protected ABS plastic designed not to corrode or crack.
- Powerful blower design with widespread oscillation
- High capacity 10.6 gallon tank
- EC220W filter controls airborne particles
- Automatic air louvers
7. Soleus Air KY-80 Portable Air Conditioner/Dehumidifier/Fan/ with Remote Control by MobilComfort – This air conditioner is equipped with a 38.4 pint dehumidifier that lessens undesirable moisture from the air and drips onto the condenser. It has a programmable timer that shuts the unit on/off and has memory settings. It has an LCD remote control that operates and displays all settings.
- Sleep mode
- Single hose exhaust system
- 2 speed fan with adjustable louvers increases circulation.
- Washable and reusable air filter
- Heavy duty casters attached for easy portability.
- Energy efficient.
8. NewAir AC10000E 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with AutoEvaporative Technology By NewAir – this air conditioner can cool up to 325 square feet. It has a 10,000 BTU compressor that allows the unit to operate for hours without excessive condensate buildup. There are no messy buckets to empty because you only need to drain it only in the most humid weather.
- Built-in dehumidifier
- Advanced auto-evaporative technology
- Remote control
- Easy-install window kit included
- Loss of Power Protection with Auto-Restart ensures consistent
- Single Hose exhaust system for quick spot cooling
- Washable & Reusable Air filter